Our team is exploring novel interaction methods based on magnetic fields. Last year, we combined a digital compass and a magnet, and got a magnetic joystick for mobile gaming. Early results were published at a conference and the thesis was successfully defended.
This year, we got more compasses to play with…
Your thesis will explore a new interaction method based on full 3D magnetic tracking, where several digital magnetometers track the position of a wearable magnetic ring and it’s orientation in space. The work will involve experimental evaluation of the method’s performance and limitations. The resulting prototype will then be used for gesture recognition, data visualization, gaming or other use case depending on your background and interests.
- an algorithm for 3D localization of a magnet and its orientation (there are a few, but they can be improved)
- a working prototype of the 3D controller (minimal hardware skills beneficial but not required)
- experimental evaluation of the prototype’s performance and its limits
- a workshop or conference publication of the above
- a successful thesis defense!